Let's Start 2021 on a Fresh Note!
As we wind down 2020 and begin 2021, it’s a great time to get all of our business stuff together. 2020 was tough in many ways. Many of us had to re-think how we do business and start on a journey we didn’t necessarily want to be on…and we made it. The end of the year and we made it. The end of the year and beginning of the next is a great time to get organized, assess where we were and where we want to do and make a plan moving forward.
Because 2020 was such a struggle for many of us:
· Review your time-off for 2020, was it enough? How would you like it to be different?
· Plan time-off for 2021. Like write it on your calendar and figure out how much you need
to put away in your profit account monthly to cover your time off.
· Did you figure out that you like working with a specific population more than another?
Figure out what needs to happen for you to specialize.
· Want to do more training? Now’s a great time to start looking into it.
We know taxes will be due in April, so we need to:
· Get all your paperwork together, review your booking (or create your spreadsheet if you
haven’t) and get organized for the tax season.
· Review your income and expenses…is it where you want to be? If not, make a plan to
· Go ahead and schedule an appointment with your accountant.
· Did you make enough? Want to make more? Adjust your hourly rate if it needs to
increase to help you reach your goals.
Do you take insurance?
· This is a great time to review your contract.
· Are they paying you enough? If not, consider whether you want to continue with them or
request a rate increase.
· Are you claims being reimbursed in a timely manner? If not, figure out why.
· Prefer to pay someone else to do your billing? Cool. Figure out what you are needing
and reach out to peers for referrals.
When is the last time you updated your paperwork?
· Read over your policies and procedures, do they still fit? If not, update them and send
them out to all clients.
· Spend a few days catching up on paperwork from 2020. If you are way behind, no
worries…schedule that in!
· Close inactive files. Shred the outdated ones (check your licensure board for the
· Oh, and this is a great time to review your website! Update or refresh it. Don’t forget to
update that headshot of you as well.
Basically, this is a great time to assess your business goals for 2020 and decide how you want it to look for 2021. It’s also a great time to make sure your paperwork is up to par and refreshed where needed. Update your website and your professional headshots. It’s a great time to start 2021 off fresh!